news

GARY COLMAN IS... STILL RARELY RONG. 30th October. Apotheca.

Who are you?
Gary Colman, stand up comedian. I was recently a finalist in three national comedy competitions. I’m also an award nominated comedy actor my version of Macbeth was described by critics as hilarious.

What’s your show about?
I used to believe all men are born equal, then I had kids. Now whatever I do I seem to be the idiot, certainly in the eyes of my wife, my brood and my dog. This show is a chance for me to stand up and share my true inner wisdom, hence the title, ‘Gary Colman is… Still Rarely Rong’.

There isn’t really a ‘theme’ to the comedy as such, unless you count painful and bitter recrimination’as a ‘theme’.

Is this the first time you’ve played in Manchester?
No. I’ve played two dates in last year’s Manchester Comedy Festival and I had a blast. The audiences were great and I’ve been looking forward to coming back with a new show all year. And this is without a doubt one of the best Comedy Festivals in the North West of England, certainly within the greater Manchester area.

What did you do before comedy?
I Served 14 years in the Army, working as a snowboard instructor and teaching SCUBA diving, not so much a life, more an overly elaborate suicide attempt.

How long have you been doing comedy?
Even though I’d always wanted to do comedy I only ever got around to doing my first gig about 7 years ago. I was still in the army back then – and loving it – I did a 5 minute unpaid spot at a small comedy club in Soho. It went really well… I was getting really big laughs… and I thought, “here we go Gaz, a star is born!” It was also the most terrifying and exhilarating thing I’d ever done. After the gig I had to head straight back to my unit as that night we were deploying out on a jungle warfare exercise in West Africa – I was a medic serving with Special Forces. I spent the next couple of months living in the jungle with spiders, snakes and the SAS but all I could think about was getting back up on stage.

The day I got back to the UK I requested an interview with my Commanding Officer and handed in my resignation. Later that month I did my second ever gig… and died a million deaths. I was so nervous I couldn’t remember my name and as I left the stage to silence I heard the young female emcee say, “ah… bless”. Luckily the other gigs have been a better since.

Anything you want to add?
I’ve got a couple of nice press quotes I’m really proud of.

‘...FEARLESSLY FUNNY... HE’S THE BEST DEADPAN ACT SINCE JACK DEE SO IT’S UNSUPRISING THAT FRANK SKINNER IS A FAN...’ GQ

‘...HIGHLY INVENTIVE AND VERY FUNNY...’ Frank Skinner

‘...A FINE SOLO SHOW FROM AN UTTERLY CHARMING PERFORMER...’ Time Out

Shows start at 7PM and is approximately 1 hour long.
Tickets are £5.

Visit GARY COLMAN IS... STILL RARELY RONG page here


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home